Shaft Grounding Performance Guarantee
If an Inpro/Seal® Shaft Grounding Device does not function in an application for which it was designed by Inpro/Seal and was installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions, Inpro/Seal will modify the Grounding Device design to function or refund the full purchase price of the Grounding Device for a period equal to the motor manufacturer’s specified warranty (up to 4 years) following sale to the end user.1
Inpro/Seal will warrant the bearings of motors equipped with Inpro/Seal Shaft Grounding Devices installed by an OEM or Manufacturer Authorized Service center in accordance with Inpro/Seal manufacturer’s installation instructions against Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) related failure as indicated by; visible frosting, pitting, or fluting on bearing races, for a period equal to the manufacturer’s specified warranty (see below for warranty coverage options).
Definition of Bearing Failure
Motor bearing failure which originates due to VFD induced electrical bearing damage is caused by electrical discharge machining (EDM) pitting damage in the bearing race. This is referred to as visible “frosting” or “fluting” of the bearing race sufficient to cause unacceptable audible noise and vibration.
The bearing damage must have originated directly from the VFD induced electrical bearing discharges during normal motor operation. The inner and/or outer race of the bearing will typically have visible EDM, often with a fluted perpendicular or washboard pattern or frosting. Bearing failure or unacceptable audible noise caused by other mechanical means other than VFD induced bearing current shall not be covered by this warranty.
Motor Bearing Coverage
Inpro/Seal will warrant the protection of motor bearings as defined below. In instances of bearing damage attributed to a failure of the shaft grounding device, Inpro/Seal may replace the shaft grounding device and reimburse the purchaser for the replacement of bearings2, not to exceed the Vaughen’s National Average3 to furnish and replace two Bearings for the specified horsepower and frame size as outlined below:
- Motors up to 100 HP/75 kW up to NEMA 444T/IEC 280 frame with single row radial ball bearings with a shaft grounding device installed on either end of the motor’s shaft.
- Motors over 100 HP/75 kW up to a NEMA 449T/IEC 280 frame with single row radial ball bearings with a shaft grounding device installed on either end of the motor’s shaft. The motor must also be equipped with an insulated bearing or ceramic rolling element bearing installed on the opposite end of the motor on which the shaft grounding device is installed.
- This guarantee does not cover motors where the shaft grounding device was misused in the application.
- Guarantee does not include replacement of bearings which failed due to improper installation, lubrication, or misapplication of the motor.
Warranty by Product
- Standard CDR – Motor manufacturer warranty match up to 2 years*
- Smart CDR with Sleeve/Smart MGS – Motor manufacturer warranty match up to 4 years*
- Smart CDR with Sleeve/Smart MGS with Smart Ground Monitor – Motor manufacturer warranty match up to 5 years*
Warranty Redemption Process
Should a bearing failure occur due to EDM damage during the motor warranty period, please contact your local Inpro/Seal Sales Manager. Be sure to specify the defect as “visible bearing fluting/frosting – with Inpro/Seal shaft ground”.
Inpro/Seal reserves the right to inspect the motor, motor bearings, and shaft grounding device upon request. Inpro/Seal also reserves the right to perform off site failure analysis of failed components following any and all warranty claims.4
- Proof of Purchase and or in-service date required. Valid in-service documentation includes dated manufacturer shipment verification and end user customer work order installation documentation dated no later than 6 months following manufacturer confirmed ship date.
- Reimbursements amounts include Bearing Replacement exclusively. Inpro/Seal is not liable for any incidental or consequential costs incurred to the OEM manufacturer or end user, including but not limited to; process downtime, shipping, freight, transportation, or damage to adjacent equipment. Purchaser agrees to release, defend, indemnify and hold Inpro/Seal harmless from and against any and all further liability in excess thereof arising in any manner from any alleged defective CDR, part or service. To the fullest extent allowed by law, Purchaser releases Inpro/Seal from, and limitations of liability shall apply to, any claims in excess of Inpro/Seal’s warranty obligations as set forth herein, notwithstanding any breach of contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or other theory of legal liability asserted against Inpro/Seal. The laws of the State of Delaware shall govern this Warranty. Venue for all legal proceedings shall be in New Castle County, Delaware.THERE ARE NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES OTHER THAN THOSE DESCRIBED HEREIN. IN THE EVENT THAT THERE ARE ANY DISCREPANCIES BETWEEN THE LIMITED WARRANTY SET FORTH HEREIN AND ANY OTHER WARRANTIES SET FORTH IN PURCHASER’S PURCHASE ORDER, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS RELATED THERETO, OR ANY OTHER SALES AND SERVICE DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED BY INPRO/SEAL TO PURCHASER, THE LIMITED WARRANTY SET FORTH HEREIN SHALL SUPERSEDE ANY OTHER SUCH WARRANTIES. THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, OR OTHERWISE CREATED UNDER THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, OR WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL PURCHASER BE ENTITLED TO RESCISSION OR TO A REDUCTION IN THE PURCHASE PRICE. PURCHASER WAIVES ANY AND ALL CLAIM FOR LOSS OF TIME, INCREASED COST, INCONVENIENCE, LOSS OR USE OF PROFIT, LOSS OF GOOD WILL, COST OF CAPITAL, COST OF RENTALS OR ANY OTHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER.
The following items and/or circumstances are excluded from this Limited Warranty:
– Normal maintenance service or the replacement or repair of parts required to be replaced and repaired in the normal course of maintenance service.
– Modifications and unauthorized repairs or services made to grounding device without the written consent of Inpro/Seal will void all warranties.
– Damages caused by acts of nature, such as lightning, wind, flood, tornado or earthquake.
– Improper installation or operation as outlined in the Installation Instructions.
– Exposure, corrosion or prolonged or improper storage.
– Defects caused by abuse, negligence or accident or loss of, or damage to the grounding device while in transit.
- Warranty claims within the United States which include bearing replacement must include OEM or authorized repair/replacement invoice. Vaughen’s National Average cost, current at the time of warranty claim shall be used as a benchmark. For warranty claims outside the United States an alternate local published repair index may be employed.
- Off-site failure analysis may include but is not limited to return of failed components to Inpro/Seal’s testing facilities or an independent laboratory.